September 11, 2013

Autistic and Alone

Over the years I have become hesitant to tell people that I have 3 kids on the autism spectrum. Yeah I know, I have a blog about it, co-founded a non profit about it and frankly my kids are not keeping it a secret as well as I would like them to(that last one is a joke).
My hesitation is due to the reactions I have received over the last 5 years since my youngest was diagnosed; the reactions range from pity to rudeness. As parents we have all had those why me moments and during one such moment I realized that I actually am glad that I have more than one child on the spectrum. Crazy? Not really. You see no matter what happens, they will always have each other.  In school and society they struggle with academics and social skills, and basic acceptance. At home my kids with autism are not different. They play together, tease one another, and accept one another. It would be nice if my son had 

No comments:

Post a Comment