August 30, 2012

Do I sound angry?



Why do I write? Its a question I ponder frequently. I look at the world and I want to comment on it. I have always been first and foremost a writer. I am not particularly beholden to grammar and style as I have issues with authority, but I do like passion and sentiment. My biggest fan and critic (my mother) told me that in my first show I sounded angry. Anger. That's an all too familiar emotion. Obviously, it is not my intention to sound angry, but I am angry. This blog is about my perspective on autism.  I feel that as a black woman in america, my voice and experience is underrepresented on this issue.  I know, I know there are a number of celebrities who are also black, that are active in the autism community.  This blog is not really issue driven.  What I mean when I state that is, I am never going to take up a particular side for or against certain hot buttons prevalent in the "autism community." Why? I find it difficult to see things as black or white. Everytime I try to delineate a right or wrong way to feel, the foundation on which I based that decision is shaken. I don't take that for granted. I am what some might call superstitious when it comes to certain events.  For example; lets say I am on my way to a meeting and during the course of my drive, I run into a detour, road block or extremely slow driver, instead of throwing my hands up and getting upset, I say "I am not supposed to go that way, I will take another way."  The thought being that the divine universe has compiled a number of messages to send to me so I can avoid danger. All this to say that, whenever I have chosen to align myself with a certain idea, that idea gets challenged.  One might suggest that I need to be

No comments:

Post a Comment